The Unspoken Truth: How My Ego and Naivity Held Me Back


Today, a respected leader bid farewell, surrounded by a large turnout of colleagues and admirers. Their tributes spoke to his exceptional guidance and mentorship, which had a profound impact on many careers. I, too, had immense respect for him, but our connection was distant, a feeling that resonates with my overall experience at the company. Despite my efforts, I've struggled to find my place within the team, always feeling like an outsider looking in.


As the retired leader reflected on his journey, he emphasized the significance of mentorship in his growth. Several colleagues echoed this sentiment, crediting him as their mentor and champion. Listening to their stories, I felt a pang of regret and realization. I had never sought out a mentor, never understood the value of guidance and support in my own career.


In my early days, I was oblivious to the concept of mentorship. Later, when I excelled and rose through the ranks, I attributed my success solely to my abilities and intelligence. But the harsh realities of my lack of progress in my career are all too real.

Now, as I reflect on my journey, I realize that my failure to seek mentorship has been a critical misstep. I've let my ego and pride hold me back, assuming that my skills alone would propel me forward. But the truth is, no one succeeds alone. We need guidance, support, and wisdom from those who have walked the path before us.


As I look back on the leader's legacy and the impact he had on so many lives, I'm reminded of the power of mentorship and the importance of humility. I hope that my story will serve as a cautionary tale, encouraging others to seek guidance and support when they need it most.

Comments