The Deception of the American Dream: A Personal Journey

American Dream is nothing but a nightmare. Every step of the process is filled with deception. It starts with parents. Yes, they deceive you, but from their hearts. They tell their children, “You can be whatever you want to be.” This is nonsense because not everyone can be what they want to be. Look at American Idol, where Simon Cowell would crush the dreams of some contestants. Mean, yes, but probably the best feedback they ever received.


What about those who do achieve what they wanted to be? Some cannot earn enough to pay off the bondage of college debt. College was another deception they were told. In the marketplace, the supply and demand for skills and jobs are not distributed equally. AI engineers are paid more than teachers. That’s just the outcome of the market. Should colleges inform you of your major’s ROI? I say no because you’re responsible for doing the research.


I wanted to be an artist as a child. As I grew up, I learned there isn’t much money in the profession. My chances of success were low. I switched to science and engineering, but I didn’t have the discipline to study, and at the time, I struggled with math. I switched to business, specifically finance. I struggled with statistics but did well enough to earn my degree. I admit I was a C student. If I had to go back, I would most likely be a C student despite being pretty good at math and stats.


What am I getting at? I dislike financial services, but it pays well. I disliked college, so I went to a public one because it was dirt cheap. I graduated debt-free, and now my net worth is over seven figures. I made hard choices in life, and it worked out, but there were consequences. I struggle with my mental health because I have a career I do not like. I dislike bureaucracy and having a boss who knows very little. However, he plays the game well. In the end, remember this: choose your career wisely. It’s not 100% about the money, but it’s definitely important.

Comments